Most people consider their home as one of the biggest financial investments that they make. It is one of the most difficult and calculated decision that one goes for in his or her lifetime. Owning a home may even look more complicated and a long shot for people with bad credit history.
Today, the United States and other countries face the difficulties of the mortgage market crunch. A lot of lenders offer bad credit home mortgage to meet the needs of the majority of people. The programs of these lenders are often viewed as not the best in the market but at least provide a clear path of owning a home for people with bad credit.
What to Do if You are Planning to Purchase a Home
If you are planning to get a mortgage loan but has a bad or poor credit score, the burden of proving that you are financially responsible is on your shoulders. You can do this by remembering the following:
- Lenders must be convinced that they can lend you their money and you will be dependable on making the monthly payments. The best thing to do is review your credit report and consider taking steps to get rid of all the red flags in your financial history.
- Fixing some of your bad credit past may involve lowering down your credit card debt by making your monthly payments. For example if you have an autoloan which is payable in nine months, try to pay it off since loans like this will no longer be reflected in your debt calculation.
- Remember that you have bad credit history, saving for a down payment for your home may help you get a bad credit home mortgage. A big down payment serves as a good assurance for the lender that you will pay them back.
- When saving for the down payment, include in the closing cost in your equation. Down payments which are more than 20% of the total purchase price improve the credibility of potential homeowners who are considered as bad risks because of financial mistakes in the past.
- During the loan process, lenders will put your financial statement under a microscope. They will be looking at your declared assets and liabilities to calculate their risk of losing or gaining money if they will approve your loan. It is important to disclose your finances as honestly as possible.
- It might also be helpful to declare your cash reserve since the lender considers your capacity to pay in case things go wrong. Two monthly payment worth of cash is a good gauge for the lenders to consider granting you the bad credit home mortgage.
- Further improve your credit worthiness by paying your utility bills, credit card debt, insurance, and taxes on time.
Look for the Best Lender
Working your best to improve your credit status may be put into waste if you end up with the wrong lender. Do not be satisfied with the first lender that you approach. Comparing several potential lenders will help you determine which one really best meets your needs.
Shop online and compare the rates that they offer. Asking friends and relatives who might know some background of lenders may be a great help.
Lenders also offer different programs for bad credit home mortgage. Ask their mortgage loan specialist which one is excellent to help you get a home.